Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Consultation Please! Pt. 02

Can I get a CONSULTATION up in here?! Or at least a proofread for God's sake.

As a general rule, I keep my electronic devices on for as long as possible when getting on a plane. Usually, this just means my cell phone, so I don't miss all of the wonderful updates from the world of twitter and facebook.

Most people, don't pay attention to the flight attendants when they're giving they're safety spiel. I do, however. I also read the the safety card information. What, you don't? I read it for a number of reasons. One of which is to know the different safety features. Look, when you fly on the cheap like I tend to, you end up changing planes and airlines, sometimes within the same trip. So there are important safety changes to note between one Boeing 737 and another Airbus A330.

Seeing Fight Club also inspired me to check these out too. Sometime, I know that I will find a safety card with images like that. This point informs my final point about safety cards: My third reason for checking the card is because after seeing Fight Club and being inspired to check the safety cards more closely I came across the following image...which, by the way, is still the image used by Southwest Airlines.

The above image, is also the reason I keep my cell phone on until I'm told to turn it off. The above image, also inspires the next story, and why I BEG people to please get a second set of eyes to look at your stuff. You might have a great idea, but goodness, your idea may also convey the exact wrong message.

Below is an image I snapped while sifting through a magazine on a flight. Don't worry, I used my regular camera to capture this heavenly piece of ridiculous advertising. Now the ad is for a company called "Go To Meeting." They specialize in web conferencing. If you care, they can be found here: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/ Their product seems good. They save people from having to travel to various important business meetings, and in these economic times...blah blah blah.

Both word choice and placement are key elements in the world of printed advertising. If you'll notice in the image below, "Tool" is placed next to the tool's face, and the product name is hidden in the corner of the page.


While I must thank Go To Meeting for making my blog a more interesting place to stop on the electronic superhighway, I promise, I only aim to help.

Look at it this way, at least now there are multiple sets of eyes proofreading the ad!

PS


No comments: