Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I'm Trying to Find The Words to Describe This Place Without Being Disrespectful

I, from time to time, have been described as being opinionated. I am often opinionated about what things are appropriate vs. inappropriate. For example, I believe that it is inappropriate for a man to wear any jewelery other than a watch and a wedding ring. No exceptions.

Okay, onto the photos and how my occasionally opinionated nature informs this particular pointless story.

There's a little, quirky township in San Diego known as Ocean Beach. I, not so secretly, drink some major hatorade about this place. I tend to view this place with the disdain most people reserve for their opposing political party or Fuddruckers.

The jokes I make about Ocean Beach usually revolve around the rampant drug problem...and not just the people who live there...the town itself has a serious drug problem. Seriously, don't drink the water there. I don't even trust the bottled stuff. Jokes also revolve around the poverty, the homelessness, and the general lack of safety one feels when there. I get my hair cut there (out of necessity), and my old hairdresser had well-groomed pit hair that she displayed quite prominently.



My disdain really comes from me just not understanding the place at all. I once described OB in the following way: "Ocean Beach has the all the creativity of Venice Beach with the crushing poverty of a 3rd world country, but no one seems to care." That's the part I just don't get. No one seems to care...everyone is just okay with everything and everyone else. And THAT fact is the thing which has OB growing on me.



The photos depict the town's Christmas tree. I've heard a lot about this tree. From what I know, the town purchases the largest they can afford, but the largest they can afford, does not necessarily mean the best, but again, that's just OB. It's weird, it's broken, it's leaning over, sparely decorated, missing branches, and lets be honest, it probably has a drug problem. But it is what it is, and the town accepts it and loves it anyway, so I accept it, and Ocean Beach too.

Here's hoping your holiday is broken and weird too.

PS

1 comment:

stephmw said...

your hatred of OB is lame. you've obviously never spent any quality time there - you would change your tune.